Table of Contents
Kidneys perform the function of filtering fluids and excess waste from the blood. Chronic kidney disease can cause the accumulation of electrolytes and other toxic substances in your body that can prove to be very dangerous.
In the early stages, you may have mild symptoms and may not realize that you are suffering from kidney malfunctioning till the problem aggravates. Let us understand the problem to get relief from kidney stone pain as quickly as possible.
Let us look at some of the major symptoms of kidney diseases
- Fatigue and weakness
- Sleep disorder
- Muscle cramps
- Swelling in feet and ankle
- Shortness of breath
- Chest pain
- High Blood pressure
As is evident, these symptoms may be caused due to certain other diseases as well. This is one of the reasons that kidney disease is not diagnosed at an early stage.
The most common ailment that people suffer from is kidney stone pain.
How are kidney stones formed?
Kidney stones are formed when minerals and salts such as Calcium oxalate crystallize and form hard deposits in the kidney. These deposits can be formed anywhere in the urinary tract.
When should you consult your doctor?
Kidney stones can cause unbearable pain in the abdomen and the lower back. If you notice any such problem, consult your doctor immediately. Some major symptoms of kidney stones are persistent abdominal pain, painful and frequent urination, foul-smelling urine, etc.
Here are some remedies that can relieve this pain
- Hydration – Hydration is the easiest and most effective remedy for kidney stones and other urinary tract problems. Drinking a lot of water not only relieves pain by diluting the concentration of urine but helps flush out the bacteria as well.
- Lemon – Kidney stones are hard deposits formed in the kidney causing pain and discomfort. The citric acid in lemon juice breaks down the calcium deposits and slows down their growth. Drinking lemon juice increases urine citrate and reduces the risk of kidney stones.
- Avoid caffeine and sugary drinks – Artificial sugars in carbonated drinks and alcohol increases the risk of kidney stones. These are best avoided and should be substituted with fresh juices. Foods that have a high level of fats, salt, and sugar also increase the symptoms of kidney stones.
- Regulate your Calcium intake – People who have calcium oxalate stones should avoid taking calcium supplements as it intensifies the problem. Try to eat natural fruits and vegetables like broccoli, dairy products, grains, fish, Chinese cabbage, etc. to get the required amount of calcium for your body.
- Obesity – Being overweight can also increase the chances of kidney problems. Keep your weight in check by following a strict exercise regime and saying goodbye to kidney disorders.
- Avoid foods rich in oxalate – Foods that naturally have oxalate are best avoided if you tend formation of kidney stones. Avoid eating Rhubarb, chocolate soy milk, sesame seeds, okra, buckwheat flour, etc.
Although these remedies help to a certain extent if the size of the stones is small, consult a doctor for specific treatment if the problem persists. It is always better to seek medical attention for kidney disease treatment and nip the problem in the bud.